View Issue Details
|ID||Project||Category||View Status||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|13218||Bug reports||[All Projects] Survey participants (Tokens)||public||2018-01-19 07:20||2018-02-21 16:46|
|Target Version||Fixed in Version||3.4.x|
|Summary||13218: Sending Invitations or Reminders - Emails sent using "There are more emails pending" are corrupt|
I got reports that some users who received our survey invites and reminders received corrupted emails.
By corrupted, I mean that every so many characters a "= " shows up in the email. This results in broken links, broken images, etc. NOT GOOD!
|Steps To Reproduce|
See the attached screen shots.
Workaround for this issue:
This should not matter, but MTA for sending is qmail. MTA receiving is Exchange 2012 and client is Outlook 2016. I tested using both the PHP and the qmail send method.
|Tags||No tags attached.|
|Complete LimeSurvey version number (& build)||3.0.5+180118|
|I will donate to the project if issue is resolved||No|
|Browser||Firefox 57.0.4 (64-bit) on windows|
|Database & DB-Version||MySQL 5.5.53|
|Server OS (if known)||Debian|
|Webserver software & version (if known)||Apache2|
screen1a.PNG (147,753 bytes)
screen1.PNG (17,005 bytes)
screen1.PNG (17,005 bytes)
Is anyone else with v3 installed able to duplicate this?
Confirmed still an issue with Version 3.1.0+180124 .
Is anyone else able to reproduce this issue?
Can you attach the related survey as .lss file with which you can reproduce this?
limesurvey_survey_621661.lss (20,200 bytes)
After investigating deeply into this the reason that the second email looks different than the first one is that the encoding of the email changes because the linebreaks change after first post because of using a Windows browser.
The email format is still valid though, just encoded a bit differently. In my email client the 2nd email looks perfectly fine - I can only see the difference in the source of the email.
I therefore assume that it is actually some issue with your email reader.
Note: I tested with 3.3.1
Thank you for your time.
I just did another test using 3.2.0+180206 .
Linux Server running qmail (where LS is installed) and viewed on Thunderbird (windows)
Gmail web client
Where do we go from here? Can the difference between the emails not be corrected?
Did you verify if the feedback is coming from recipients without Exchange?
Take a look at this discussion:
@jelo: That is an excellent hint - thank you!
Thank you both!
Version 3.4.1. released
|2018-01-19 07:20||snowsam||New Issue|
|2018-01-19 07:20||snowsam||File Added: screen1a.PNG|
|2018-01-19 07:20||snowsam||File Added: screen1.PNG|
|2018-01-19 14:37||snowsam||Note Added: 45918|
|2018-01-24 20:43||snowsam||Note Added: 46048|
|2018-01-24 23:04||c_schmitz||Assigned To||=> c_schmitz|
|2018-01-24 23:04||c_schmitz||Status||new => feedback|
|2018-01-24 23:04||c_schmitz||Note Added: 46050|
|2018-01-24 23:04||c_schmitz||Category||_ Unknown => Survey participants (Tokens)|
|2018-01-24 23:40||snowsam||File Added: limesurvey_survey_621661.lss|
|2018-01-24 23:40||snowsam||Note Added: 46055|
|2018-01-24 23:40||snowsam||Status||feedback => assigned|
|2018-02-16 18:04||c_schmitz||Status||assigned => feedback|
|2018-02-16 18:04||c_schmitz||Note Added: 46565|
|2018-02-16 18:04||c_schmitz||Note Edited: 46565||View Revisions|
|2018-02-16 18:05||c_schmitz||Note Edited: 46565||View Revisions|
|2018-02-16 19:11||snowsam||Note Added: 46572|
|2018-02-16 19:11||snowsam||Status||feedback => assigned|
|2018-02-17 00:09||jelo||Note Added: 46573|
|2018-02-21 10:34||c_schmitz||Status||assigned => resolved|
|2018-02-21 10:34||c_schmitz||Resolution||open => fixed|
|2018-02-21 10:34||c_schmitz||Fixed in Version||=> 3.4.x|
|2018-02-21 10:34||c_schmitz||Note Added: 46630|
|2018-02-21 14:22||snowsam||Note Added: 46675|
|2018-02-21 16:46||c_schmitz||Note Added: 46696|
|2018-02-21 16:46||c_schmitz||Status||resolved => closed|